Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Biscuits & Maple sausage gravy

In our home, we make biscuits and gravy for breakfast every Saturday, it's one of Dom's favorites. I thought I would share it with you, because it's soooo good. I make it with the kids during the week sometimes too.

We use store-bought biscuits. Nothing fancy there.

For the gravy, I start by cooking 1 pound of Maple sausage in a large skillet. I melt 1 stick of butter in a saucepan, then add 4 heaping spoons of flour and stir together. I let that simmer for a couple of minutes to cook out the flour taste then I add about 1 cup of milk and whisk it smooth. On medium heat, I continue to stir constantly until it gets to the thickness I want. Then I add it to the skillet with the cooked sausage on low heat. The gravy with thicken up even more when you stir it with the sausage, so you'll have to add a little bit more milk to thin it out, but then take it off the heat so it doesn't continue to thicken.
Serve hot and enjoy!!  There is no need to add any other seasoning to the gravy, the Maple sausage is plenty.

Hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment