Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Guest Blogger!

This weeks guest blogger is Jason Marsden. You may recognize the name if you're a Munsters fan. Jason's wife was pregnant with a baby boy due on the same day as me, but little Clark was destined to greet the world early, and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him grow up via posts on their blog, Chronicles of Clark. Be sure to stop by and leave them some love!!
 
 
1. What is the greatest thing about being a dad?
Man, there are so many things! It's so new, so bright, so infinite, it's hard to pick the 'greatest' thing. It changes almost every day. How about some highlights instead?
Changing his diaper - greatest thing! Yeah, most parents would not agree, but Clark loves the whole process. I get the biggest smiles from him when I take off his diaper. It's 
either from extreme relief or he's an exhibitionist. We'll soon find out. 
His smile! So pure. So sincere. So infectious. - Greatest thing.
Feeling him melt into my chest or over my shoulder when he falls asleep - greatest thing.
Watching him eat! He cries for two reasons...fatigue...or hunger. The look of utmost satisfaction when we insert the bottle - greatest thing!
Showing him off to friends or strangers - greatest thing.
Dressing him up - greatest thing. If you think about it, and do it right, babies can be one helluva fashion accessory!
Singing, dancing for him! He's a rapt audience - greatest thing.
Watching him sleep - greatest thing!

2. What was the biggest challenge for you with Clark being born so premature?
Spending 89 days at the NICU and going home empty handed.

3. How has Clark effected your life?
I say this in jest (kinda), but you parents know what I mean: I never thought I could love anyone more than I love myself. 
Sleep...goes without saying.
All in all I'm surprised at how easy it is to acclimate him into our lives. I'm the kind of person who craves a schedule. Clark dictates. We follow.

4.What are some your favorite childhood memories that you wish Clark will be able to experience as well?
This is the toughest question for me, because I had such a unique childhood, being an actor. Unless Clark plans to follow in my footsteps, his
experiences will be quite different. I guess, I just always loved meeting new people and traveling to new places. I do remember driving cross
country from Rhode Island to California. It was such an uneventful trip...really. And long. But the excitement of it reminded me of being on
an adventure. I hope Clark sees things with such an open heart and mind like I did.


5.What did you want to be when you were a child?
I wanted to be a rock star! Or in a musical (still do). There was always a bit of 'performer' in me.

6. What is your favorite past-time?
Dark theatre, popcorn, watching a (hopefully) fantastic movie! 
Live music at a dive bar. 
A killer yoga class.
Gatherings with friends.
Halloween!
and now...Father's Day!

7. What is your biggest fear?
Great question. My #1 answer to that, used to be, death. Now, it's weird, cuz now that Clark is in my life, I see him as my living legacy. I am totally at 
comfort knowing that a part of me will continue to live on through him, well long after I'm gone. My biggest fear has now turned into my greatest comfort.

8. Who is your role model?
My wife. Christy Hicks slammed into my life just when I thought all hope for love was gone. She has truly changed my life. Not just cuz she's the woman of my 
dreams and all that. I have seriously watched her overcome so many obstacles. This pure soul has had so much shit thrown at her (including, but not limited to,
the premature birth of our son) and she continues to somehow get herself to rise above. I've watched her grow in so many ways. She is my inspiration. 

9. What is your favorite thing to eat?
Random question...but okay...chocolate.

10. What was the first concert you went to?
Billy Joel.

11. Where is your favorite place to "chillax"?
The sanctuary of my living room. Preferably alone with myself for some Jason time.

12. Do you turn the stereo down in the car when you are trying to find someplace?
OMG I so do!

13. Favorite music?
I like so many kinds. Hip hop, grunge, rock, country, classical. For example, here's what's cycling on my iPod:
Weezer, Lady Gaga, U2, John Williams, Pharcyde, Adele, Gorillaz, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, the soundtrack
to Aladdin, and currently I'm addicted to Podcasts: Stuff You Should Know, Geeks On, The Moth, This American Life
and so forth.

14. Where would you like to be 20 years from now??
Bi-coastal. Keep my pad here in Los Angeles, perhaps a nice bit of land in Nashville, TN (where Christy's from).
You know a place to park the RV as we travel travel travel! Clark will be somewhere abroad, sending holographic
texts requesting we meet up with him in Amsterdam or India or China. Christy and I will jump at the chance, if
she's not busy doing some world peace event she started or if I'm not on-location on some feature film of course.

15. What bit of advice or testament would you like to give my readers?
If it's parenting advice, I have none. I'm doing the same thing you all are doing...the best I can, with the abundant
times infinity amount of love I have, pouring into my son. Communication, listening, kind words, kind actions,
these are ingredients to a happy and loving family life. Don't sweat the small stuff. Stay open. And for Goddess 
sake...turn off the lights when you leave the room!


No comments:

Post a Comment